Dining room of a house is the most used room apart from the bedroom. If you like guests at your house and invite them frequently, then it is probably the most used room in the house. No one really wants furniture that takes up a lot of space, so you need to be very careful about the shape and size of the table after considering the size of the room itself. Seating people at the dining table comfortably is the key because if you make too many people sit together, they might feel crammed in.
You need to ask a few questions to yourself before choosing the right dining table that fits your room size and also doesn’t look clustered. Here are a few questions to help you:
1. Who are going to be the users of the table
2. How many people are usually going to use it on a daily basis?
3. What is your budget?
4. Any specific characteristic you want in it. It can be shape, colour, design anything.
While choosing the dining table, there are a lot of things that you will have to consider and the biggest of them being its size. Get a rough idea of the standard sizes of tables before you venture out to shop one. The heights of these tables are usually consistent but they may be in various shapes. Make this a point that you need a table that has enough room above the knees of the people sitting at the table to eat. A table too high might be a problem. The high tables need stools instead of chair and that isn’t very comfortable if you are going to enjoy your meal. The right height should be around 28-30 inches.
People often see a counter high table and have a misconception that these tables can be used as dining tables. The counter high tables are generally 36 inches in height and are used in informal settings like a bar counter. They are as high as a kitchen counter and surely not fit for the position of a dining table.
The table shape has a great impact on the feel of a dining room. A square table is not fit for entertaining large groups and a round table gives a very cozy and homely atmosphere. Small spaces are more suited for oval tables as these do not have corners that stick out. Long rooms can have rectangle tables as they look best.
Here are the standard table sizes for different shapes of dining room table:
For a Round table:
• seating 4 people: 91-122cm Diameter
• seating 4-6 people: 112-137cm Diameter
• seating 6-8 people: 137-183cm Diameter
For a Square table:
• seating 4 people: 36”-44” Square
For an Oval table:
• seating 4-6 people: 91-112cm diameter
• seating 6-8 people: 142-183cm diameter
• seating 8-10 people: 183-213cm diameter
• seating 4 people: 91-122cm diameter
• seating 4-6 people: 122-152cm diameter
• seating 6-8 people: 152-198cm diameter
• seating 8-10 people: 198-213cm diameter
• seating 10-12 people: 213-274 cm diameter.